Friday 29 June 2012

information, age

How do you respond when you don't know as much as you would like. It can be embarrassing when a young doctor is better informed on an issue. Or a patient.  It can be hard to admit that you don't know everything in your own field.Some doctors try to bluff their way through,but it is painfully obvious - they lose more respect for that than by their lack of knowledge.


 I try to remember how my mentors dealt with it. Sometimes I was the one with the new information. How did they handle it? As I recall, they encouraged me to explain as much as I could. I was very proud of myself but didn't feel superior. I was just delivering the news.


So why do I feel so embarrassed now? I understand it is the way of the world. But I do not understand the giant babies.


(with apologies to A Softer World)

No comments:

Post a Comment