Saturday 28 May 2011

diy

After fondly anticipating a saturday morning sleep-in  I woke at nine am.It may have been the dripping tap which broke through my wall of sleep : gentle but persistent -  like my mother on a campaign to change me - intermittent and varied, but inevitably and ultimately irresistible.
A few days ago I tried to stop the leaking.First I tried simply tightening the tap handles.Since that didn't help I wasn't able to be sure which tap was responsible.The water was cold but it was a slow leak so  the hot water tap would also produce cold drips.However the water was cold so I started with the cold tap.In the way that they do,the specific effective multi-faceted tool originally provided with the old-fashioned tap set had disappeared,so I commenced dismantling the cold tap with a wrench or adjustable spanner.After removing a surprising number of parts I reached an impasse : the only part I could unscrew resulted in  a frightening torrent of water.The shifting spanner was not designed to fit the other parts so I reassembled the tap, which,after a delay which briefly gave  me the false hope that my incompetent tinkering might have repaired the problem,resumed its relentless dripping,a little faster than before my intervention.
So I squeezed the handles tighter to no effect and then asked my wife to solve the tap problem : could she find the special tool or call a plumber.That was four days ago and the tap still drips.I haven't asked my wife what is happening because I have some primitive masculine reluctance to draw any
more attention to my shameful mechanical ineptitude.Although sleeping soundly ,if she were[a lonely remnant of the nearly lost English subjunctive mood] awake she would gladly tell me what is happening with the leaking tap and wonder to herself yet again about what is wrong with men.Or perhaps just this one.
I think I might go to the hardware store (or barn) and see if they have one of those special tap tools.I hope no one asks me what I am doing because they would quickly discover my unmanly ignorance of basic tap technology.Then they would give me that expression that wonders whether I would be wiser to leave this kind of thing to a real man who likes a beer and never ever thinks about the ancient grammatical moods of the English language.
In my defence I do sometimes like a beer.
Going back to my lost plans for a decadent morning in bed,I searched for a word to describe such behaviour,aside from lazy or unproductive,or maybe 'delicious',and found nothing quite fitting, so a new word or phrase was needed."Sleep-in" and"lie-in"have been used and Lazy Sunday Morning can be capitalized, but I was looking for something pithy and apposite. I entered 'sleep late' into the search engine but there was no result. A search for decadence realized the word sybaritic -  named for the legendary extravagance of the people of Sybaris ,a Greek colony in southern Italy which was founded by the ancient Achaian city of Helice (Eliki) which itself sank beneath the water in an unspecified natural disaster which may have initiated the myths of Atlantis.Perhaps there was an earthquake.Or, for all one knows, they were simply so immersed in dissolute days,wasted weekends and moral moratoriums that they never managed to fix their leaking taps.

No comments:

Post a Comment