Saturday 13 August 2011

art

Over time I have found an increasing desire for significance in my personal environment.I appreciate the functional and mildly decorative qualities of the inside of our house. I contributed to their design. However, I have come to want more than bare walls, albeit in a shade of pale rose pink applied to encourage a feeling of warmth, on an architectural background of a truncated modern version of an historic building style.

I want art.

Hell, I don't even know what art is.
I have read that art is "the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the sensesemotions, and intellect." (Wikipedia) Actually, that's a good description of what I've been looking for. I want some items arranged in a way that will affect one or more of my senses, emotions or intellect. I probably don't want them on the floor or the ceiling. I suppose the walls are the traditional place for art for a good reason - you can look at their artistic offerings easily and without tripping over them.
I asked my wife what she thinks of as art. She said "Paintings."
Shelley Esaak, an art historian, says that art is "form and content." The form contains the elements of art  ( colour, value, space and line ), the principles of design ( balance, contrast, emphasis and proportion ) and the physical materials used by the artist. The content includes the intention of the artist, the actual realization of that intention and the reaction of the observer to both the intention and the actual representation.
Enough intellectualizing, I want some paintings. They should be attractive, interesting and reveal the personality of the artist. They should communicate and stimulate.

Perhaps I might get one of those paintings of a sad kitten with big eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment