Sunday 25 September 2011

weekend off

Friday was busy, with my brief spare time spent organising a Caesarian section for triplets on the Monday morning. Paediatricians and midwives both unhappy but finally agreed.
Woke very early Saturday morning with bowel upset. Had hoped to spend the day looking for a birthday present for my son. Woke again a few hours later and made my way unsteadily to the kitchen where my wife, mother and daughter were sitting, talking about the recent appendicectomy. I found some tablets for the bowel and the rising nausea. Before I could take them I had to run to the bathroom where I managed to get most of the previous night's dinner into the sink with a few concerted efforts. Cleaned up and returned to the kitchen to some worried faces - sound effects were vivid. Crushed my tablets and swallowed them with a little sports drink, hoping they would stay down, and stumbled back to bed.


Woke next at sunset. 


My wife brought me more sports drink which I sipped carefully despite stabbing pains every few minutes. I fell asleep and woke at four a.m., had some more drink then slept again. 
My muscles had no strength. I could barely turn over in bed.
Woke again much later not having eaten for nearly two days but my muscles were working better.Eventually had a light sandwich which my stomach tolerated reluctantly, walked outside then went back to bed.
 A midwife just called to say that the triplets had gone into labour, been transferred to the city and had  been delivered.Outside it is late afternoon. The shadows are getting longer but there is not a cloud in the sky.There is a slight breeze and the occasional chirping of birds. Back to work tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment