Wednesday 18 July 2012

children's rhyme

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor,
Rich man, Poor man, Beggarman, Thief.


I had heard and read references to this counting rhyme for years but never knew the complete words. As with most of these types of verse there are a number of variations, as well as a deeper meaning to them.
I have just finished reading the book by John le Carre, "Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy", despite my lifelong aversion to the genre. I'm not sure if this is a sign that I am changing but I had a craving to read it as soon as I saw it in the bookshop, and devoured it with satisfaction. However, I have no desire to read the rest of the series.
I think I felt an empathy with the character of George Smiley, retired at the beginning of the tale despite a lifetime of quiet mastery of his particular craft. He had a control of his professional skills which contrasted with the chaos of his personal life. That also rang a bell.
His work required care and persistence, interspersed with occasional though inevitable episodes of violence - which he handled calmly. He would have made a good obstetrician.
I don't think I would have been a good spy though. I find it too hard to tell a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment