Wednesday 28 March 2012

happiness

reading a very insightful book by an experienced psychotherapist - I keep saying to myself,"Oh yes, that is so true" - but I don't want to appropriate his ideas. However, he started me thinking about happiness. You know, that thing people say about their children,"I don't care what they do - so long as they are happy," about themselves,"I wish I was happy," and about other people,"Money can't buy happiness," or at least so we hope. He says that happiness comes from something to do, someone to love and something to look forward to.
Happiness is really just a lack of anxiety, but those three things would seem helpful in getting there. Some people use religion, meditation or drugs to try to achieve happiness although the last one is bound to end in tears. They are all designed to make us less worried about ourselves. This is how love works - it focuses  on others rather than ourselves - especially if we can widen the pool of recipients.
The secret of happiness isn't a secret. It is a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment