Wednesday 6 July 2011

won a hand towel

Played tennis last night and won a hand towel, though I lost a hard-fought singles match in a tie-break.The doubles matches are more fun but there is pride in a singles victory so we push a little harder.Here is my partner warming up for the night's competition:
                                                           The one in the foreground.
                                                           With the beer.
Once we are out on the court there are no excuses. I never complain that I am at a disadvantage from being thirty or more years older than my opponent, from carrying an injury, lack of sleep from labour ward duty the night before or unfamiliarity with a new technique from my tennis lesson. Because that would devalue my opponent's efforts. It would be unsporting.

Ok, so I might make some excuses, and yes it is a bit embarrassing to win after saying how sick I am but I do try my best. I run for the hopeless return, throw my racquet on the ground (synthetic grass) and swear loudly. It surprises people that an obstetrician should behave this way, but then how should anyone act away from their job? I am not consulting with a patient. I am giving respect to my adversary. There is nothing more unsatisfactory than winning against someone who is obviously not trying, so juvenile petulance is not frowned upon, but savoured as one of the fruits of victory.Although I doubt that such behaviour is approved in women's competition, I find it exhilarating to be so uninhibited in a life otherwise choked with caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment