Wednesday 22 June 2011

cancelled tennis

For me tennis is a Zen thing ,an instrument for self - realisation.I study the techniques of each stroke to extend myself, to discover my potential independent of the need to win.It is immensely satisfying to gain a physical insight into a better method of executing a shot,constructing a new neuromuscular pattern of movement and balance.So much harder as I get older, frustrating, but eventually rewarding.
My coach is my Zen master, guiding me to inner harmony, and he doesn't laugh at my unrealistic ambitions.After a lesson I feel uplifted by my  new knowledge, inspired to practice until perfect.After competition I feel energised.
So it is disappointing to still be too sick to play.I have missed both my lesson and the regular competition,which is a men's social support system as well as a sporting contest.Players keep playing through all the stresses of life and between matches can discuss football, beer and cars as though existence is still normal, they are not getting divorced ,losing their job,or dealing with illness. Just hold off on the empathy thanks and we'll be all right for another week.
And don't expect any favours on the court even if you are recovering from coronary artery surgery.Mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment